What We Do
CHILDREN & YOUTH
Planting and Playing Garden Arts Program
In collaboration with The Chicago Park District POP -Up Create Art Camp, in 2020 we are offering three MiniCamps starting July 18th from 10:00am to 12:30 pm. Our MiniCamps are for children ages 2 – 12yrs.
Session 1: July 18 – 20
Session 2: July 25 – 27
Session 3: August 1 – 3
- Lead by Master Gardener Seneca Kern, we will create natural butterfly habitats for the community and the home, seeding, and foraging in the urban landscape, fairy gardens in our big box for kids, and making nature paper from scratch.
- South Merrill Community Garden’s favorite art teacher Rhonda Gray will help the kids create powerful self-portraits of peaceful protest art.
- Our garden chefs will teach the kids how to prepare, savory, sweet and healthy meals from the garden. We’ll also tour South Shore’s own Nature Conservancy and habitat.
- For each session, a vegan boxed lunch per day, no nuts or soy will be served to camp participants. We’ll social distance and follow CDC guidelines for best practices during COVID-19. Our capacity for classes is eight kids per each session, first come first served.
No cost for program. Please sign up here letting us know which session your child will attend. If you have any questions please contact email@example.com
Tween Bike Clinic (ages 13 – 16yrs.) – Check back soon for dates.
- We’ll have our mini bike mechanic workshop supporting our tweens in fostering self-esteem through active learning and community giving, the kids earn their own bike and refurbish bikes for our neighborhood Slow Bike Give Away
Our Senior Mornings provide a safe garden experience for the community. Butterfly gardens, hummingbird feeders, herbal medicine wheel, and edible flowers are just a few of the delights we have created for you.
BENEFITS OF GARDENING FOR SENIORS
- Lowers stress
- Increases Serotonin (chemical in the brain increases calmness and peace
- Boosts Heart Health/Reduces Risk of Stroke
- Increases Mobility (productive way of rebuilding strength and mobility following a stroke , keeps lesser used muscles engaged
- May Boost Brain Health
BENEFITS OF MEDITATION FOR SENIORS
Outdoor meditation will change your life. Over 600 research studies conducted on meditation agree that it has the power to improve mental health, from depression to schizophrenia to PTSD and ADHD. By practicing this healing art outdoors and harnessing the additional power of mindfulness that nature tends to provide, you can expect a tremendous boost to your mental health.
Free classes are held Wednesdays and Fridays from 9:00 – 11:00 a.m. Please sign up here.
Check back soon for full program details
No cost for program Please sign up here.
Due to COVID-19 precautions, South Merrill Community Garden will comply with the CDC recommended social distancing and use of face-coverings. We will also follow strict disinfecting procedures before and after use of tools and supplies.